The number of chiropractic patients rises as more and more people recognize the significance of good spinal health. If you are a current patient of an Atlanta chiropractor, you already know the positive effects the therapy has on your life, but what do you know about the chiropractic field? Below are some chiropractic fun facts you wouldn’t expect!
Facts About Chiropractic
- “Chiropractic” comes from two Grecian words. “Cheir”, meaning hand, and “praktos”, meaning done, translates to “Done by Hand”. That’s kind of perfect!
- In 1895, Daniel David Palmer, the father of Chiropractic, gave the first adjustment to Harvey Lillard. These chiropractic adjustments helped Lillard regain his hearing after an accident he had 17 years earlier.
- To become a Doctor of Chiropractic (DC), you need to complete a minimum of 4,200 hours of classroom, lab, and clinical internships during a 4-year doctoral program. If you were to combine all those hours, it would be 175 days non-stop!
- An estimate of 35 million American adults and children are treated by Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs) each year.
- There are around 95,000 active doctors of chiropractic worldwide, along with 10,000 students in the United States alone, currently enrolled in chiropractic education programs.
32 National Football League teams take advantage of chiropractic. Each of the 32 teams have a chiropractor on staff to increase performance, maintain the players’ well being and treat musculoskeletal strain and injury
- Surprisingly, chiropractic care can be very beneficial to infants. Birth can be tough on a newborn! Infant adjustments are perfectly safe and modified for the baby’s needs.
Across the globe, over one million adjustments occur each day!
- In over 40 countries including the U.S., chiropractic is recognized and regulated by law. There are licensed D.C.s in all 50 states!
- Injured at work? Did you know you are 28 times less likely to undergo spinal surgery if the first medical professional you contact is a D.C. rather than a surgeon?
One of the most common symptoms treated by chiropractic care, lower back pain, could cost up to 20% percent less if it is first treated by a DC instead of a MD.
- There are different treatments that a sick person can undergo for health recovery. Some will experience surgery and some settles for alternative treatment depending on the level of illness. Chiropractic care is included in the list of the alternative cure. Yet, you might have not realized these five interesting facts about a South Burlington chiropractor:
- One of the most successful chiropractors ever was blind.
- Despite the fact that he is sightless, Dr. Charles Robinson Johnston, has been listed as one of the most successful and also one of the best known chiropractors. In 1918, he was still thirty-nine when he graduated from the Palmer School of Chiropractic. “The Man Who Made Peekskill Famous,” was what the local newspaper named him.
- Chiropractors need chiropractic care, too.
- Chiropractors are also humans. They heal people and they also need healing as much as most chiropractic patients need. Most injuries experienced by them usually occur in their first five years of practicing their line of work. Usual injuries they have are affecting the hand, lower back, and shoulder during the positioning of the patient.